Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Hair

I'm secretly vain. There, I said it. For much of my life my strategy was to try to look nice without looking like I tried, because I didn't want to care, or at least, I didn't want people to know that I cared. Now that I've been in a professional arena for a while, I do want to look like I'm trying to look good, because that is the professional thing to do, but not, you know, because I didn't look good anyway. I'm just adding some nice polish because I am that awesome, and by the way, might deserve a raise. Or something.

I've felt a little better about my secret vanity since it came to me one day that beauty is a virtue. Of course! But still, I think I should be happy either way. Wouldn't that be better?

My hair has a surprisingly, and somewhat distressingly, big impact on how I feel. Maybe this is common, I don't know, but it is sure true for me. If I think my hair looks bad or weird, it can a serious social and emotional handicap for me. I think I'm finally starting to realize that, when my hair is having a good or a bad day, week or month, I don't look as different to other people as I do to myself, which is helping me with the old philosophy of "Just smile and act like you look great!" which I've noticed working really well for others in the past. But still. It's there, at the corner of my mind. Distracting.

I recently got a new haircut, with bangs. Among my haircut experiences, it is most similar to the home haircut I used to get when I was in the 4-7 age range, which is saying something, because the cuts are not really that similar at all. Pretty much every day is a big improvement over the state of my hair just before the recent haircut (which was just before Christmas), which is good, but it seems like it is different every day. It's funny, because it's making me feel a little confused! Today it looks pretty good, but nothing like it did when it looked pretty good last week! And some days in between it looks weird, or frumpy, or...just weird. It's like a little tiny identity crisis. Just settle in to one of the good-looking looks please!

You know, hair tends to drive me crazy anyway. I don't like finding it places. I don't like mine long, and anything shorter than long gets complicated to organize. Honestly, I think hair may be more trouble than it's worth and I wish that really short, maintenance-free hair would become stylish, though I'm not willing to be the leader in that trend. Not yet. We'll see, I guess.

Ok. I guess that's enough about my hair. It's funny that of all the things I've been thinking, this is the one I've managed to post about.

4 comments:

Struggeling Artist said...

I have a really neat song, which you may or may not, about hair. I like it a lot because of the guys part -- I think it's cute:) I'll send you a link to it on facebook.

And I like your post. I think it's pretty typical for women to want to be beautiful, and to enjoy being beautiful. I think it's just part of being a woman.

For me, though, my vanity extends yours a bit. I want to be beautiful WITHOUT trying -- although sometimes I apply lipstick in order to 'look like I'm trying' . . . haha! Although I do think it's fun on occasion to try, usually I just find it a bit of a hassle!

That's why I dye my hair, actually. I think it makes me a little bit prettier, and it's just a twice a month deal. Which, to me, beats darkening my eyebrows and eyelashes EVERY DAY to match my hair . . . hahaha:)

PLUS it's super convenient that I look better with long hair (fewer haircuts) and I look nice with a ponytail (talk about simple -- yay!!!)

haha:)

Struggeling Artist said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_5jIt0f5Z4

just because it's about hair

:o)

-A said...

Yes, I rely so heavily on haircuts, kind of like you're dying, it sounds like. With the right haircut, I don't have to do anything extra, which is good, because I don't want to and don't have time to. :-p I just want it to look awesome. haha

Struggeling Artist said...

Yes!!!